WHAT IS CHIP SEALING?Chip Sealing, also referred to as "Tar & Chip" paving, is the most economical method of street and pavement resurfacing. It is commonly used by municipalities, retail centers and office complexes throughout North America. Chip Sealing is comparable to other resurfacing methods in durability and effectiveness, but costs far less (25-40% of the cost of pavement overlays). Chip Seals are economical surface treatments designed to protect and prolong the life of the pavement.
WHY CHIP SEAL?Asphalt roads are like the paint on your house. The moment the application process ends, the deterioration starts. Much like paint, asphalt is subject to oxidation, sunlight, rain and freeze & thaw cycles. Pavement is also subjected to a wide array of different traffic loads, use of equipment for snow removal and additional stresses from normal ground movement. Chip Seals can be used on new pavements to increase traction, or to prolong the life of pavement that is structurally sound, but is beginning to age and may have some surface distress.
THE CHIP SEALING PROCESS:Chip Sealing, or Tar and Chip, involves spraying a hot rubber-based emulsion onto the surface, then immediately spreading a layer of uniformly sized aggregate chips. The hot rubberized asphalt emulsion retains flexibility and will not bleed through the aggregate overlay. The new surface is rolled to seat the aggregate. After a very short curing time, pavement is swept of excess aggregate and is ready for use.
PROTECT YOUR PAVING INVESTMENT:
- Beautify — Restore that "black-as-night" original look.
- Prevent Oxidation — Block out the damaging effects of the sun and ultraviolet rays.
- Avoid Spill Damage — Keep gasoline, oil, jet fuel leaks & spills from penetrating the surface.
- Weatherproof — Protect against the number one pavement destroying force — water.
- Reduce Maintenance — Shield pavement against the elements that cause cracks and potholes.
- Preserve Your Investment — Make your property safer, cleaner, more attractive and longer lasting.